We have soapstone counters in the kitchen. Beautiful, black, stain-proof and incomplete. Well, at least they were for the last year or so. But let’s back up a bit first, shall we? Here’s what we planned for a kitchen:
When we decided on soapstone for the countertops we planned on DIYing them. I had helped my cousin’s husband do their kitchen with DIY slabs of soapstone and it was really do-able. There is work involved sure, but in about one day a few us cut all the pieces to size and had them pretty much set. Here’s what their kitchen ended up looking like:
As you can see, they came out gorgeous and we were all excited to do our own. Unfortunately when it came time to order my countertop slabs, the company they had used starting getting a little shady. Prices were appearing and disappearing from the website. Calls were not returned. Questions were unanswered or at times rudely brushed off. And then we found a different soapstone guy, one who lived just one town over. We live out in the boonies, so to find a dealer local seemed like ridiculous providence.
We worked with them to quote out just the slabs, still planning on doing the install. And then at some point he offered to have his son help me install them for a nominal fee. And somehow that turned into his son installing everything for $100? I’m not sure how that happened either, but it was awesome.
Everything went really well right up until the time for the window sill cover behind the sink. The piece was cut too short to work, but no problem, they would just come back out the next weekend with a replacement. That was in September of 2011. The bad news is it wasn’t the next weekend. The good news is, it’s done now!
We had been calling and setting up times for the last year or so every few months but it just didn’t come together. Ironic since they actually completed my parents entire kitchen next door in that time frame as well. However since we got such a ridiculous deal on our installation, I never felt like I could really push the issue. But at some point this last few weeks this view finally got to Shannon and it was time to get this eye sore covered up.
And of course I didn’t have any wood in the basement for trim pieces, so it’s still not done done, but at least at this point it’s only waiting on me. It feels so much better to have this in place.
And here’s a quick shot of it before it was oiled up.