The kitchen was in rough shape. It desperately needed new paint, the oven door had fallen off, the faucet had snapped off, the curtain rod was gone and the curtain was MIA, it was rough. Shannon had put a lot of time in making that kitchen, the play kitchen for our (then three) kids. I wish I had pictures of when she finished it, because it did look fun. All bright and cheery and kid friendly, much better than what it looked like after a few years of our kids “playing” with it. It didn’t help that their favorite game was to “work” on the kitchen, ie imitate the renovation / construction work that Shannon and I were doing in our real house with brutal effects on their kitchen. Here’s what it looked like before I began the freshening up.
For the picture I had removed the drawer (but apparently not the random plate and whatever else is on the bottom shelf). The oven door had fallen off due to the wrong hinges, the faucet was a spray painted wooden letter but that had snapped. The knobs were removed and sharp point screws were exposed. Again, I feel awful not showing how nice it looked originally, but now it was in rough shape.
We had plenty of paint to choose from in the basement left over from the house, but I didn’t want to pick anything used in the kids rooms. Both our daughter and our sons play with the kitchen so we didn’t want to make it skew to one or the other gender-wise. Instead I picked the Sea Salt that we had left over from our bathroom tub area. We had painted the main bathroom Paladian Blue and were hoping to pick a lighter color similar to it, to go in the tub area. Sea Salt is lighter, but not enough that you can actually tell in the room. Oh well, at least it doesn’t look weird or funky.
I picked up a piece of pipe from Lowes meant to be used under a sink (I guess? Plumbing is my not so much DIY area) for the faucet. I also grabbed some hidden hinges for the oven door and a dowel and eye hooks for the curtain rod. All in all, I think this took maybe about 4-5 hours to repaint the main cabinet, redo the hot and cold knobs, repaint the oven door and attach the faucet, oven door and curtain rod. Not too bad for a kitchen makeover, and I’m happy with how it looks now.
I managed to find the curtain that Shannon had sewed originally (thankfully, since I wasn’t exactly up for attempting to make a new one and Shannon had more than enough sewing / crafting projects going on). I just added some dowel screws to a 1/2″ dowel, ran it through some eye hooks screwed into the cabinet and popped some knobs painted Martha Stewart Living Metallics Thundercloud on the end. I also used the Thundercloud paint (left over from one of my Rast Hacks) for the hot and cold knobs and to refinish the over door, which was all banged up.
I also added some furniture pads to the oven door to stop it from banging up the cabinet quite so much this time.
Here you can see I’m baking some clamps. On the very last screw of the last hinge (the last step of the process), I split the wood that I used to space the hinges so that the door would hang properly and open easily. Since it was already glued in place, I just glued the cracked pieces and clamped them together.
The kids are thrilled to have their kitchen back. And in an effort to keep their renovations on the kitchen to a minimum I’m hoping to whip up a workbench for them to work on so that this version of the kitchen might survive a little longer than its predecessor.